[linux-audio-user] SoS DRM article now online

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Feb 19 09:48:02 EST 2004

Hallo,
Daniel James hat gesagt: // Daniel James wrote:

> > You write "[...] the use of these techniques is
> > not always indicated on album packaging." At least in Germany this
> > now isn't true anymore.
>
> I just bought the Strokes album from an on-line store, and I was upset
> to find out on opening the packaging that it was 'corrupt'. However,
> the CD played perfectly on my Linux box without DRM of any kind, and
> in my wife's car CD player too.
>
> So I'm inclined to think that a lot of these warnings are bluffs - the
> label wants you to think the disc is non-standard, but the shops
> don't want all the returns and the bills for broken hardware.

Another possibility might be - in Germany - that if there is no copy
protection warning on the box, then a customer could be inclined to
think, that, yes, copying this is not prohibited. Shortly after the
new law was done here, I suddenly found DRM stickers on every
Playstation 2 game in the shops. Those are protected for years and it
was never explicitly mentioned on the box until now.

ciao