[linux-audio-user] suggested Window Manager good for audio?

LinuxMedia linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Thu Feb 19 13:22:46 EST 2004

>   mc (in xterm) kicks ass (by default tab changes panels/widgets, esc
> tab does autocompletion in all dialogs where the files/directories are
> used)

mc (MidnightCommander) will play an audio file by just pressing ENTER on
the file. You can have *any* type of file can do *anything* you want it
to do just by pressing ENTER on the file in mc. I even have played
multiple audio tracks by pressing ENTER on a ".ecs" file (ecasound text
file that will play all the tracks, effects, volumes and panning listed
in the file).

To use this feature... First... at the command line, type... "mc -f" (no
quotes of course) to find where mc keeps it's files (to edit the file
extension manager *globally* that is...). For a local user, mc's files
are in ~/.mc.

My global file is called "mc.ext". Here is a simple example that will
load a file into xmms and play it (by pressing ENTER on a .WAV file in
mc) (by the way... make sure you quit mc and restart it every time you
edit "mc.ext")...

shell/.wav
     Open=xmms %f

Just in case the extension is uppercase...

shell/.WAV
     Open=xmms %f

Here's the example of playing multiple tracks with effects, panning,
volumes set... with ecasound reading the ".ecs" file that you pressed
ENTER on...

shell/.ecs
     Open=ecasound -c -s %f

The beauty of the last command is that ecasound is a "command line"
program. You don't have to leave your shell. And the (perticular)
command that I demonstrate here has ecasound in "interactive mode" (-c).
So you can press ENTER on the .ecs file, then type "t" in the (ecasound)
command line to start playing the tracks... type "fw 3" to fastforward 3
seconds... type "setpos 54" to start playing at 54 seconds into your
tracks...  and things like that. With mc and ecasound, I've ran a
command line only multitrack set-up for over 2 years not. And I havn't
even mentioned mc's built in text editor (or it's text viewer for that
matter).

Rocco