[linux-audio-user] Emagic Logic Audio on Linux

RTaylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Thu Feb 19 22:30:05 EST 2004

Chris Pickett <chris.pickett at mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> RTaylor wrote:

> > http://www.gnu-darwin.org/
> >
> > ...Maybe. I have no clue... just suggesting what may be a more appropriate
> > system. {Runs on power pc and intel} It would give you most of the linux
> > stuff anyway.

> I would be surprised if Logic didn't use Apple's proprietary display
> stuff like Carbon and Cocoa (and even for audio?  Isn't CoreAudio
> proprietary?), which is not available for Linux or even x86.  In other
> words I think the answer is "no chance in hell".

 Yeah, probably not.

 I get the impression that Apple is working with the GNU  folk on the above
system  though

{see the top link here: http://www.gnu-darwin.org/index.php?page=community }

 It would be in their best interests to open up development to the rest of the
world. You never know what may happen in the future.

 I may build a machine to run this system... It looks like it may have a lot of
potential. It's a sort of "best of all possible technologies" thing.

> However, there's lot's of audio stuff available for Linux, offering lots
> of control and flexibility.  See http://linux-sound.org/
>
> Maybe someone here can recommend a Live CD that contains some up-to-date
> audio apps, or would work with AGNULA or something ...

 The easiest way is just to set up apt and point it at planet CCRMA.

 --
 See these tears so blue. An ageless heart that can never mend.
 Tears can never dry. A judgement made can never bend.