[linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Feb 19 23:21:24 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 09:50, Pete Bessman wrote:

> Check out http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/eastsidemilitiamusic.htm

Not my genre (i'm into the Vangelis / Yes / Tangerine Dream / Schulze /
Oldfield / Jarre type of stuff), but sounds good technically.
But, oh... i think it would delight me in the context of a movie such as
The Matrix :-) think - the long Highway War in part 2.

Nitpicking follows, hardhat required, don't have to pay attention to
everything i say (and remember that i overall like the thing):
Yeah, like others said, that piano needs a shot in the arm. Or just
forget piano and put in something with a more electric feeling (but
maybe that's just the heavy-metal remnants from my crazy teen years).
The first 15 seconds sound kinda cheesy (the timbre, not the melody).
Percussion seems a bit weak and kinda hollow and kinda not really
getting along with the other guys in the room, but maybe that's
precisely the idea (i'm not accustomed to the quircks of this genre, so
i could like criticise the violins in a Vivaldi piece).
Bass is outstanding, but could you turn it up in the eq a bit? It
sounded kinda weak even on my bass-loving and dry Alesis M1 Active
monitors. Or i don't know, maybe i'm in love with big fat bass these
days.
For The Matrix :-) i would make those distorted pseudo-guitars (which
are otherwise very good) even more aggressive, more in-your-face, more
your-ass-is-grass. Dunno how, make them grunt, add harshness, double
them (carbon copy the MIDI track) with a deep low-freq fat sound...
naah, the latter would ruin that great-sounding bass.
The ending is brusque but not brusque enough. Either smooth it out, or
make it even more marked (like a reverse piano sample's envelope). Hafta
make up your mind.

The overall progression of the piece feels like it's conducted by a
professional's hand, it's sure of itself and has the right ups and downs
and a general good swing between the different parts (although that's
something that's endlessly improvable by definition).

Did i sound close enough to a music exec? :-)

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/