[linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux

RTaylor ricktaylor at speakeasy.net
Thu Feb 19 23:58:35 EST 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:07:58 -0600
Benjamin Flaming <lau at solobanjo.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 19 February 2004 11:50 am, Pete Bessman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Check out http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/eastsidemilitiamusic.htm
> >
> > After getting Specimen to an acceptable state, I threw together this
> > proper demo.  It has no vocals since me and my larynx don't get along,
> > but I encourage anyone who so desires to rectify that deficiency.
>
>      I must admit, I was reluctant to sign up for Yet Another User Account On
> A Web Site I'll Probably Never Visit Again.  I'm very glad I did, however - I
> enjoyed your tune *very* much!
>
>      The only thing that bothered me was the piano at about 4:00.  It felt too
>
> thin and small to blend into the rich musical backdrop you'd created, and it
> didn't quite feel raw enough to be out-of-place in a "good" sort of way.
> FWIW, you might try reversing the piano samples, or perhaps doing something
> to make them sound cheaper/grainier and/or stranger.  Alternatively, you

 ...Some sort of Hammond/Roland emulation? {:} Steppenwolf still thrills
me.}

 My real problem would be with the squeaky bits that you've got going along with
the massive guitar thrummy stuff. They just don't seem to be part of the same
song. I like the massive guitar thrummy stuff... the other sounds throw me
off. Maybe if you were to morph between the two somehow or toss in a
transitional sound?

 I like the song... I've been in more of a feedback/early Tangerine Dream mode
myself lately but I think what  you've got is put together really well.

--
 See these tears so blue. An ageless heart that can never mend.
 Tears can never dry. A judgement made can never bend.