[linux-audio-user] Re: Some music made with Linux

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Fri Feb 20 03:49:35 EST 2004

Hi,

On Friday 20 February 2004 04.18, Ken wrote:
> What I really, really miss in Linux audio/midi wise, are apps that plug-in
> to the host sequencer which would be Muse, Rosegarden right now. Using
> Reaktor in Sonar, which I've been playing with this winter, is so
> convienent.  You can have any number of Reaktor ensembles as synths or fx
> all plugged into your piece, and every time you open that document up,
> every little detail is restored.

I guess you haven't checked out Jack (jackit.sf.net)? Jack is the glue that
essentially makes these things possible. And on a grander scale than what is
possible in Windows.
The thing that hasn't been clearly adressed though is the "every time you open
that document up, every little detail is restored", this piece of the puzzle
is only partially solved, there will be solutions coming up though, I'm sure.

For modular syntesis as in Reaktor you should check one of the many modular
syntesizers that are available, pretty much all of them support jack. They do
not yet possess the power of Reaktor, but that's only a matter of time,
right? ;)

> I don't understand why there isn't a
> Ladspa synth building application.
There is, pretty much any modular synth available now supports this. (Someone
correct me if I'm wrong, I seldomly use these things myself)

> Also the soft-synth scene in
> Rosegarden/Muse is extremely weak if its there at all, (Fluid)?.
> Ken
That is mainly because the internal synths of MusE are (in my mind) an
evolutionary step. When session handling on jack-level is available the
internal softsynths will be pretty much obsolete.
There are a multitude of synths available that are jack enabled, they are the
future.
Don't get me wrong though, I use the internal softsynths of muse all the time
with great success, it works great. But it's not the end of the line, at
least not for me.

/Robert

ps.
btw, Peter, I liked the piece too, ego-shooter fits the bill for me to :-)
Ahh... I feel I must post some made-by-me songs soon... but...it hurts to
spill your blood on the dance floor.... Oh well, I'll work up the nerve soon.
;)
ds.