[linux-audio-user] suggested Window Manager good for audio?

delire delire at selectparks.net
Fri Feb 20 12:26:31 EST 2004

i use openbox when performing because it is so light. when working with
pd switching window focus in most other wm's other than fvwm (IME)
causes dropout. in openbox XFree86 doesn't even appear in top and so that's more physical mem for audio..
openbox has no dependencies and it incredibly polite to my RAM.

of course where DE's themselves are concerned KDE and GNOME have the
best support for audio mimetypes, as they are generally picked up by the
suite of 'arts' and 'multimedia' applications provided by a full
install. from what little experience i have with either, KDE seems to be
a lighter DE, eating less than Gnome in the phys mem and CPU stakes.

julian aka delire