[linux-audio-user] Linux midi players that don't require download of large patch or sample files??

Stefan Scheffler stefanscheffler at gmx.net
Sat Feb 21 15:43:56 EST 2004

If the 7018 is similar to the 7012 in my laptop it only supports
external midi. That means there is no way around the big downloads ^^

If you just want to play back midi files I'd recommend to go with
timidity and best of all, it isn't that hard to set up ^^.

just download it from www.timidity.jp and compile/install as usual or
get it from your favourite binary repository

this is my "configure line" it adds the X and gtk interface ... warning
the CFLAGS are optional and highly machine dependent

./configure --prefix=/usr/ --sysconfdir=/etc/ --disable-more-warnings
--disable-debug CFLAGS=' -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=athlon-tbird -
m3dnow' LDFLAGS=' -O3 -s ' --enable-gtk --enable-xaw --enable-
spectrogram

Go to http://dodo.nurs.or.jp/~iz/guspat/tim-patches.html (japanese) and
download all the guspat-* files. According to the fish are aq to aw
optional. Then extract them to <prefix-of-timidity-install>/share/ so
in my case /usr/share/

test timidity with :

timidity <midifile>

add -ia/-ig to get a nice X/gtk interface

hope that was of help :)