[linux-audio-user] good spectrum analyser

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Sat Feb 21 21:18:31 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 18:02, Steve Harris wrote:

> Thats why theres paramtric like peak controls in Jan HDEQ - you you can
> just grab peaks and slide them about if you dont want that much control.
>
> - Steve

Yes, that I know, and that's actually what I've done the couple of times
I've used it. I'm probably pressing my personal biases here a bit, but I
personally think that a really great tool in the mastering step should
lean toward simplistic and not be a Swiss Army Knife, but that's
certainly just my preference. If I'm working at this step and feel the
need to make big changes, I think that's just an indication that my mix
isn't real solid and I should go back and fix it there.

On the other hand, if we were to imagine huge amounts of processing
power in the near future, then I would jump at the chance of using JAMin
as a channel strip plugin on each channel of my mix. Except in special
cases I'd probably bypass the compressor on most channels, but would
likely keep the limiter, gain control and EQ as they are and make good
use of them.

Anyway, JAMin is a great accomplishment and I personally think it will
end up being used by many people.

Take care,
Mark

P.S. You're up late tonight aren't you?