[linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sat Feb 21 23:25:20 EST 2004

Rob wrote:
> On Saturday 21 February 2004 22:42, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>>>Fsck that.  They can come help Specimen, which is fully
>>>usable now, if not feature rich.  Or they can work on SimSam
>>
>>Nice attitude. While this ethic is understandable it doesn't
>>help progressions very much.
>

> I disagree.  By avoiding black-hole "design projects" that put
> out PR and never go anywhere, coders who are actually productive
> have more time available to bring other, more active projects up
> to speed, while preventing said black hole projects from
> projecting the illusion of active development and sucking in
> other developers.  People say free software is a meritocracy,
> but really, it's a who-produces-the-most-working-code-ocracy.
> And it works.
>
> I'm not familiar with the Linux sampler project nor with Pete's
> program, so this is a general statement and not specifically
> about those two. I am involved with Gambas, though, a VB-like
> language for Linux, perhaps the only one you can use for real
> projects currently, and people have always made comments like
> "Why don't you merge your project with something more
> established like KBasic?" KBasic being another "get lots of
> press, design for 3 years and then never release any working
> code" black hole of a project. It's not a unique situation
> (remember how GNOME Office was gonna gut and then replace
> Openoffice?) and it's frustrating for any developer who actually
> produces code to hear.

Sure if you are expected to drop everything and merge that's a different
story. But wholesale writing off another project that has goals far in
advance of your own because you don't know it's history is lame too.

Ardour was definitely a slow mover for the first couple of years. But
then Taybin arrived and made significant contributions which encouraged
Paul and Jeremy and by the time Jesse came onto the scene it was ready
to rock.

Pete or others witht the skill base could do everyone a significant
service by channeling a small amount of time into Linux Sampler. I'm
starting to get the urge too. After watching a friend use abletone live
I can see some great possibilities for a disk sampler which also has
realtime capabilities.

Even if it turns out to be just a lib which everyone can use.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke
discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets
disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street.
Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before
the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International
Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO
Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM