[linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Feb 22 03:24:20 EST 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:

> That's the network protocol document, right? Not being a programmer I've
> never read it I'm afraid to say.

IIUC it' basically a list of the calls available to a python or other
script language programmer. It wouldn't be difficult to figure out the
functions but a more complete description ala jack docs would make
things even easier.

> Please get in contact with Rui. I beleive he is interested in the same
> thing.

I have some ideas. I'm hoping Pete will start the ball rolling though. I
wouldn't want to code an clone when his work is already there.

>> But I prefer to
>>work with wavefiles
>

> Gig files are collections of wave file. Once they are inside the sampler
> you are dealing with waves. Learn the Gig format and get access to lots
> of wave files.

Oh I didn't know this. Will look into it some more.

>>and because I have no midi instruments maybe
>>linxsampler is overkill for my needs.
>

> Well, not, not really. LS is a MIDI instrument, and you can get lots of
> MIDI files from other people or out of the web to play with. But as far
> as a live DJ tool I don't see it helping with that much right now.

I can see how it could based on the info above. Think of tX with
multiple columns and rows of samples running off the linux sampler
engine. (basically Ableton pro but not loading to RAM).

There is another app that Fred Gleason started awhile back for radio
work which could probably benefit from it too.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke
discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets
disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street.
Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before
the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International
Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO
Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM