[linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Sun Feb 22 03:56:05 EST 2004

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 02:55:52 -0500
Pete Bessman <ninjadroid at ml1.net> wrote:

> Anyway, I have known about LinuxSampler since they got the site at
> linuxsampler.org, but I got sick of waiting, and I couldn't figure out
> what was going on well enough to contribute.  I still can't.  Their
> lock-free ring buffer code is something on the order of 300 lines.
> Mine is about 30.  As I said before, I am an *extremely* inexperienced
> coder, and I think I would hamper their style more than help the
> project.
>
> In light of all this, I don't see anything wrong with me writing
> Specimen, and I don't see anything wrong with me not liking
> LinuxSampler.

If we were all working for a company, then we would all be told that
we are working on such and such a program and there would be as
little overlap in projects as possible.

In contrast, Free Software is an ecosystem; an ecosystem which can
support many programs with largely similar features. The only times
Free Software projects die is when they are not fit enough to
survive. Lack of fitness in this case can mean any number of things,
including:

  - The orignal developer loses interest and noone else could be
    bothered to keep it alive.
  - The code get too unmanageable to keep working and updating.

Suggesting that someone drop their own project and join another
project is just silly. However, when people see another project
that they think would be something cool to work on, they may
well be better off joining that existing project and should be
encouraged to do so.

Erik