[Jamin] Re: [linux-audio-user] good spectrum analyser

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Sun Feb 22 13:43:33 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 09:23, Steve Harris wrote:

> If you didnt need the crossover (or didnt need it to be linear phase) you
> could quarter the CPU load.
>
> - Steve

That's the crossover that splits the audio for the 3 compressors,
correct? I think that probably can go in a Channel Strip application
since it's usually just a single band compressor. In the case fo the
Waves Channel Strip I pointed out earlier it supports a number of
different configurations, but the main two path choices look like this:

input->EQ->Compressor->Gate->Gain

or

input->Compressor->EQ->Gate->Gain

and then side chain control for both the compressor and the gate
separately coming for selectable places inside the plugin with filters
to control what gets into the actual side chain signal.

The only real advantage of a Channel Strip is that everything you need
is there in a single screen. You don't have to call up 3-4 different
plugins to look at the things you want to work on. It also allows side
chain control in ways that aren't very easy using separate plugins.

Anyway, I don't know if this 1023 band EQ, as part of a channel strip or
even by itself, makes sense as a plugin. It was just a comment that
seems to have gained far more air time than I ever intended.

- Mark