Linux sampler projects, was Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Sun Feb 22 14:15:42 EST 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 09:45, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out the difference here between what
> ardour/muse/rosegarden do now and what Linux sampler is capable of.
> Anyone have more clues?

There is no guaranteed relative timing between two notes in GSt or LS.
If you send two simultaneous MIDI events to GSt they will start when
they start, just like playing two keys on the piano. They are close to
each other, but they do not begin at exactly the same time.

In Ardour, you can take the same two wave files as samples and place
them in a track such that their relative timing is known exactly. You
could, for example, play one wave file and then play the next one such
that it sounded exactly right. When the first wave file finishes the
second wave file will start. You will have a sample played on every
clock cycle.

LS and GSt will not do this. They are MIDI based and certainly there is
jitter and no timing info in MIDI so you just cannot accomplish this
level of control.

>  From the advertising on the gigasampler site I get the impression that
> the sequencing and recording interfaces are mainly to provide an all in
> one app. Give the consumer something worth spending a large sum of money
> on. Probably also the proprietry market expects it.

Well, yes, but I haven't met too many people that have tried. Mostly GSt
also includes an editor for building gig files, and part of that process
might be recording, so I think most people use these features ot make
stuff, but not really for doing music.

> BTW I noticed Paul Davis did some work on adding midi tracks to ardour
> recently...

Cool!