[linux-audio-user] midi issue and Event EZBus letter

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Feb 27 12:47:24 EST 2004

Hallo,
Kent, Gary hat gesagt: // Kent, Gary wrote:

> p.s.--I wrote Event Electronics a short email (see below) regarding a
> possible driver for their EZBus mixer/controller unit (a fantastic piece
> of hardware). Hope I represented the Linux community ok on this.  Bash
> me if I am off on what I wrote :)
>
> Hi:
[...]
> 	2)Not to push the issue, but if you would make a stable driver
> out of the goodness of your heart and issue it to the Linux community,
> then follow up with an announcement on the Linux Audio Development/Users
> mailing list, you would pick up a ton of business.  You wouldn't even
> have to give official support to the Linux users, but a driver for them
> would swing lots of business your way.

Just a little comment: Generally it has shown to be sufficient, if
hardware manufactures open up the technical specification for a device
and provide documentaiton, then someone will come along sooner or
later and write the driver as open source.

I think, this is much nicer than what we have for example with NVidia
graphics cards or networks adapters, where no specs are available,
only closed source, binary drivers written by the manufacturer, which
reportedly (I don't buy Nvidia) cause all sorts of trouble in regard
to audio performance and more. This trouble cannot be fixed by "us",
because the drivers are binary only, and changing them is not allowed.

So I'd rather not have a driver by the manufacturer, than a closed
source one.

Isn't the EZBus supported as a USB audio device?

ciao