[linux-audio-user] Audio 3-D Demo --- Any Interest in Software?

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Sun Jan 4 05:42:33 EST 2004

davidrclark at earthlink.net wrote:
> Mark,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Previously I had asked if anyone would be interested in my packaging
> some of my work so that others could use it.  As you may know, this can
> be a daunting task, and I wanted to know whether or not anyone would
> find the "capability" useful before dumping a lot of time in creating
> a useable "program."  It's like before I build you a car, I ask you
> if you have any need for transportation.
>
> If everyone is happy with the second (and fourth) clip, then I won't
> bother trying to write the requisite GUI interface and docs that
> I need to convince  everyone to look at.

hmm. *of course* they sound a lot better than the monophonic stuff, but
that's because the quality of the synthesizer is better. i don't see the
point of this comparision. from my pov the relevant question is: does
the (rather crappy imho) monophonic example (1st and 5th clip) improve
when processed(3rd and 6th)? my answer is yes.

so yes, i do want to play with that code! :)

as a sidenote, even though i like the roland output better, it is not as
good as the processed mono stuff in terms of avoiding
in-head-localization, but hearing that takes a lot of abstraction
because it's so much slicker in other respects.

as to writing a gui, i don't think you should bother yet. let people
play with command-line tools, and if it needs a complex gui, wrap it up
as a jack program later, or better yet, if the gui is simple (which i
think it is), make it a LADSPA plugin and let the host app take care of
the gui.

regards,

jörn

--
In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!
	- Homer Simpson

Jörn Nettingsmeier
Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)