[linux-audio-user] Audio 3-D Demo --- Any Interest in Software?

davidrclark at earthlink.net davidrclark at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 5 18:01:16 EST 2004

Jan,

> Ron is dead-set against this becoming part of JAMin (which I tend to
> agree with just because of the overhead).  I was thinking of it in terms
> of a polishing application.

The overhead will indeed be large.  In terms of using it as a polishing
application (master reverb), it's already too late.  You could use the
convolution program to apply an impulse response function, but you
wouldn't want to use it in the way I've designed because you already have
parts going into the left and right channels.  Applying two different
impulse response functions to each channel and recombining them will
comb-filter the results (again if you've already done it), hence color
the sound, perhaps a lot.

I have actually been trying to determine if I could use this as a post-
processor to make CD recordings easier on my ears, but all the attempts
I've made so far color the sound more than I'd like, even with large
absorption factors (corresponding to very short t60's).

Dave.