[linux-audio-user] Audio 3-D Demo --- Any Interest in Software?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Jan 5 22:06:33 EST 2004

davidrclark at earthlink.net wrote:
> Mark,
>

>>Or just let us find interesting ways to use the technology within the
>>current framework...
>

> Well, I suppose one could try --- and I would welcome that, but I may provide
> only token assistance, depending on the project.
>

>>Will he listen on a stereo with his real room acoustics? Or will he listen
>>on headphones without? And how do I make one mix that works for both
>>environments?
>

> Once upon a time, some studios made both types of recordings: One for
> speakers, one for headphones.  All who did this gave up.  The speaker mixes
> won out.  Now that many more people listen with headphones of all types,
> things may change once people realize that headphones can sound a lot
> better with a different type of recording (or mixing).  This appears to
> be a well-kept secret.

I dunno. It seems that recent releases from the likes of Bjork or the
Beasties have been designed specifically for headphones. Most people
play with the settings on their home system anyway to get the sound they
like and some of them also have built in room effects which accentuate
the speakers.

It sounds like your software would be a very useful addition for the pop
music marketer running a Linux env. In that case I would recommend
making a gui for your prospective user base.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

  Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke
discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets
disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street.
Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before
the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International
Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO
Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM