[linux-audio-user] Audio 3-D Demo --- Any Interest in Software?

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Tue Jan 6 13:21:27 EST 2004

> Patrick,
>
> >I dunno. It seems that recent releases from the likes of Bjork or the
> >Beasties have been designed specifically for headphones.
>
> This has been ignored for about 40 years; there could have been
> two editions
> of every major CD and LP ever released, but there wasn't.

Dave,
I guess this is where this whole discussion so far has left me confused.
There certainly could be 2, or 3, or more CDs (or LPs) released. The
question is how does a consumer know which one to purchase? Does he/she
purchase only for headphones? Do they purchase for bad living rooms? Great
tuned stereos? Cars?

I don't see how this can work practically. People won't like it when they
buy the wrong one, or want to listen in both environments. (Since I seem to
be one of the few who *doesn't* think headphones sound bad, but just
different.)

None of the above is a statement about the underlying technology. While I
don't understand how the above scenario can ever work with the end consumer,
I can certainly see the value of being able to use it, either on the overall
mix or on a given instrument at a given time.

Cheers,
Mark