[linux-audio-user] intel8x0: clocking to 48000

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Thu Jan 8 04:37:31 EST 2004

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Based on the fact that the following line is the second last displayed
> by dmsg, I presume my intel i810 is set to a sample rate of 48000:
>
> intel8x0: clocking to 48000

This is the clock of the AC'97 bus which connects the AC'97 controller
(the southbridge) with the codec.  This doesn't restrict the actual
sample rates you can use.

> I also presume this is not optimal and should be changed to 44100,
> right?

The AC'97 specification says that the bus _must_ use 48 kHz.

> Where is this done?

It's possible to change this value, but this is done only for broken
motherboards which use the AC'97 bus at a non-conforming speed.  (And
this setting does _not_ change the clock, it simply tells ALSA what
the actual clock speed is.)

HTH
Clemens