[linux-audio-user] What linux-compatible card truly supports AES/EBU?

Mr. Spock spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 19:42:52 EST 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 04:24:43PM +0100, Michal Kostrzewa wrote:
> I'm looking for a card meeting the following requirements:
> 0) *Linux supported* :)
> 1) It has AES/EBU channels (4 as minimum)
> 2) 192 kHz / 24-bit Single-wire and Dual-wire Modes
> 3) External synchronisation Master Clock or Word Clock
> 4) Ability to acquire data without any further on-card processing
>
> The main purpose is to connect this card to dCS converters (which have
> only AES/ABU)
>
> It's something like Lynx AES16 (http://www.lynxstudio.com/aes16.html)
> but alsa soundcard matrix shows that it's not supported...
>
> I know that HammerFall DSP MultiFace has theoretically AES/EBU but I
> think it's just S/PDIF - has too low signal level and doesn't work with
> our dCS convertes at rates >=96kHz.

The HDSP range only go up to 96kHz, even the awesome 64-channel
HDSP MADI (*mad*) :

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/hdsp/hdspmadi.htm

...although it does have an analogue 24-bit 192kHz stereo line out.
However, since this is a completely new card I doubt it is
supported by Linux yet unless RME have done the decent thing
and donated one to Paul Davis.

The RME ADI4DD converts AES to ADAT:

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/adi/adi4dd.htm

...and the ADI8DS allows using two ADAT connectors to double
up 48kHz into 96kHz:

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/adi/adi8ds.htm

So you'll have to try other manufacturers to get to 192kHz.

Good luck
Malc