[linux-audio-user] Re: cecilia

Iain Duncan iainduncan at telus.net
Tue Jan 13 17:26:28 EST 2004

>>Can user in Cecilia build Csound instruments in a similar manner
> >>than one builds in Reaktor?

Many disagree with me I'm sure, but I think that once you really learns the
csound paradigm, you'll find that the visual style of Reaktor and PD just
doesn't make sense for building Csound instruments. They are two very
different ways of approaching synthesizer programming, and it seems to me
most people getting into Csound wish they had a GUI builder at first, and
then after learning Csound better realize that Vim/Emacs and a scripting
language are a lot more powerful for building Csound synths. Personally, I
find the Csound way much better for complicated instruments, while it is
harder and has more coding overhead for simple one. I like GUIs  *for*
Csound instruments, but I would never want to make a Csound instrument
*with* a GUI. I think it would hide too much of the low level access that
makes Csound so exceptional.

Iain