[linux-audio-user] Which kernel for low latency and kernel 2.6.1-mm# problems

Glenn McCord clari_player at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jan 20 18:14:24 EST 2004

I adjusted some things. For me the realtime patch didn't work so I
reverted back to modifying capabilities.h by hand.
<*> EMU10K1 (SB Live! & Audigy, E-mu APS) is now the only audio PCI
device selcted.
I also double-checked to make sure
CONFIG_PREEMPT (Processor tyoe and features -> Preemptibel Kernel)
CONFIG_RTC (Character Devices -> Enhanced Real Time Clock)
CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER (Sound -> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture -> RTC
Timer support)
were built in.

I then install alsa-lib and alsa-utils 1.0.1 using the gentoo ebuilds.

I compiled jack from source with:
./configure --enable-optimize --with-gnu-ld --enable-capabilities
--enable-stripped-jackd --with-default-tmpdir=/mnt/ramfs

I run jack with:
jackstart -R -v -d alsa -d hw:0

...and I get xruns whenever I open a program, move windows around. Hell
sometimes it does it when I'm just looking at it. More specifically, if
I want to record in ardour, jack chokes up an xrun after about 2 seconds.

Now, if I whip up my 2.4.2 with Andrew Morton's Low latency patch,
install alsa-lib, alsa-driver and alsa-utils version 1.0.1with the
gentoo ebuilds, then compile jack like above... presto, no problems.
So I'm thinking somethings missing in the kernel somewhere. Or perhaps
the system settings are disagreeing with the way the kernel is setup.

Someone mentioned the /etc/modules.conf and the /etc/modprobe.conf so I
attached it to the email in case there is something damning there that
I've missed.

Also, does anyone use an ~/asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf file? I don't
have one. I used to, but it's... disappeared...

Thanks.