[linux-audio-user] Which kernel for low latency

martijn martijn at pacno.net
Tue Jan 20 08:52:41 EST 2004

Once upon a Tue, Jan 20 2004, Glenn McCord hit keys in the following order:
> I adjusted some things. For me the realtime patch didn't work so I
> reverted back to modifying capabilities.h by hand.

Realtime patch? i assume you mean the realtime LSM from www.joq.us. You build
it separately, although you do need to set KERNEL_DIR to your kernel-2.6.x
sources because it uses the kernel's build system. Where does it fail? Also,
make shure you add 'options realtime allcaps=1' to your /etc/modprobe.conf,
otherwise it will not work with jackstart.

Just interested, how did you modify capability.h? i couldn't get it to compile
when i tried that.

> So I'm thinking somethings missing in the kernel somewhere. Or perhaps
> the system settings are disagreeing with the way the kernel is setup.

I had problems too and discovered that i was compiling my IDE chipset support
as a module that never got loaded. No UDMA is a bad thing for performance. You
can check it with something like 'hdparm -d /dev/hda'.

mrtn.