[linux-audio-user] Looking for a distro strategy

Austin Acton aacton at yorku.ca
Tue Jan 20 18:24:15 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 18:16, Greg Reddin wrote:
> I noticed that Thac's RPMs for Mandrake haven't gotten any press in
> this thread.  I know I've seen Thac's RPMs and Madrake flash across
> this list, but never took the time to read those much.  Is anyone
> using that system with success?  What's your opinion of Madrake as it
> relates to audio work?

My opinion is that the Digital Audio Workstation HowTo for Mandrake (
http://groundstate.ca/mdkdaw/ ) is like six months out of date.  Oh
wait, that's my fault.

Seriously, we have more audio applications than anyone (except maybe
Fernando... I've never counted), and I try to keep them working (with
Thac and Fernando's and Gotz's help).  I've even added some fancy stuff
like automatically launching qjackctl when ardour is started, etc.

Mandrake 10 will be out in about six weeks.  If any of you could test
the beta (due out in a week or so), it would be a BIG help to me.  See
http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/wiki for info... most of the audio apps will
not be on the beta CD, but you can installl them with urpmi.

We've got Alsa 1.0.1, the 2.4 multimedia kernel (lowlat, preempt,
sched0), the 2.6 kernel, this week's jackit release, a graphical
OSS/ALSA switcher, and other goodies.  I was hoping to get the echo
audio drivers in, but looks like it won't happen.

Austin

P.S. Most of Thac's RPMs ARE part of Mandrake... he just keeps them
updated between releases, which we don't.

--
                                 Austin Acton
        Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant, Ph.D. Candidate