[linux-audio-user] Which kernel for low latency and kernel 2.6.1-mm# problems

Robert Jonsson robert.jonsson at dataductus.se
Wed Jan 21 05:48:42 EST 2004

On Wednesday 21 January 2004 11.38, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 02:20:04AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > need to find these too.) Last I heard Andrew (cc:ed) thought it worked
> > > as good as 2.4, except for some rare corner cases.
> >
> > Not as rare as one would like.  But not too bad unless you're doing heavy
> > filesytem work at the same time.

> > Is `jack' running with realtime priority, or is it merely SCHED_OTHER?
>
> Its running SCHED_FIFO in this case.
>
> - Steve

I'm not sure you're reading this list Andrew so I'll send directly also.

I just wanted to elaborate abit; -R in the argument line indicates that jack
should be running SCHED_FIFO, and since there are no specific settings for
period-size and number of periods, jack is probably defaulting to 2-periods
and 1024 samples period size. 2.4 works rather reliably with period-sizes
quite a bit smaller than that. I think 256 is commonly used, with good
hardware+drivers I suppose you could go even lower.

/Robert