[linux-audio-user] Jack and SHM

Christophe Vescovi vescovi at lpsc.in2p3.fr
Thu Jan 22 03:45:29 EST 2004

Since there has been a lot of post concerning jack usage and
optimisation recently it has remind me a problem I got that I never been
able to understand.
I have never been able to run jackstart with -R option when compiling
jack with Sys V shm support. jackd -R as root work with SysV shm but if
I want to use jackstart I have to use POSIX shm.
The error message I am getting with SysV shm is the classical "cannot
lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)".
I am running a Mandrake 9.2 multimedia kernel (2.4.22, low latency,
preemption and capability patches).
Since most of jack users seem to use SysV shm I don't understand why I
cannot (I am the only exception ....)

Christophe