[linux-audio-user] alsa mixer apps

Mark Knecht markknecht at comcast.net
Thu Jan 22 14:08:45 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 09:35, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i heard on the #alsa irc channel, that some graphical mixer apps don't
> treat the alsa mixer [ctl] devices not right. For example on a cs46xx
> alsamixergui does not allow toggling capture on the "Capture" channel.
> This would be required and is no problem with alsamixergui.
>
> I wonder if other mixers have problems like this. This can be confusing
> like Hell to newbies..

The hdsp driver (as I understand it) does not export the controls
necessary for alsamixer to work with these cards. Instead we use
hdspmixer, which is a much better mixer. Due to this difference if you
want to do the equivalent of alsactl restore with the hdsp series I
think you have to run a script with commands in it to set levels, or you
have to start X and run hdspmixer. For this reason it's a drag on my
system to keep scripts around for times when I do a remote reboot and am
not able to run hdspmixer.

Currentlt alsamixer and the hdsp family do not mix. (You decide if the
pun was intended.) ;-)