[linux-audio-user] call for mirrors [was Re: 2nd LAD conference]

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Thu Jan 22 16:43:01 EST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Matthias Nagorni wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Mark Constable wrote:
>
> > Are there plans to record any of the lectures and put them
> > on the web somewhere ?
>
> Yes, we plan to record the lectures and put also the presentation material
> on the web. Moreover we plan to establish a live audio streaming of the
> talks and concerts. If we get the presentation material in time, we might
> even put that on the web in a way that "remote" listeners can follow the
> talks watching the same slides as the audience.
> Last time, Steve and Jörn took care of the internet "broadcasting" of the
> event. IIRC they also established an IRC channel for "remote" discussion.
> The audio quality of the streaming is not a matter of the microphone alone
> but more of the available bandwidth.

i'm willing to take care of the streaming like last year. this time, i'll
try to provide a webcam as well, but i'm not yet sure about streaming
video. but a picture every 15 secs or so should be possible. ;)
my plan is to have an ogg stream of the talks and the concerts, an irc
talkback channel, a website with the presentation material for download
and a crude webcam to give you an idea which slide the presenter is
talking about atm.

work to set up a relay network for streaming will begin by the end of
february, i've got a couple other things to do atm.

[call for mirrors]

if you have a host with good internet connection and are willing to donate
some bandwidth, please contact me off-list. either you provide an icecast2
server yourself, or else i will need shell access to build one (though not
root). the distribution needs to be recent, or else building icecast2 is
problematic.
for the webcam, we'll need a couple http servers as well.
i thought about round-robin dns, but a friend just pointed out a master
server with some php code that will produce a different link each time it
is called is probably easier.
so all you have to do is pull an image every couple seconds, make it
available somewhere and send me the url.

yours,

joern