[linux-audio-user] [ot] Is DJ-ing commercial use of music tracks?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jan 24 08:58:12 EST 2004

Hallo,
Mark Constable hat gesagt: // Mark Constable wrote:

> But in this case Frank is not _necessarilly_ getting paid for the music
> itself but for his services as a DJ, so to me, this kind of usage is a
> lighter shade of grey and certainly not black or white commercial usage.

Well, at least in the commercial audio work, you have to pay a musican
or composer for performing his/her music. I was playing dance music in
a band some years ago with a dedicated commercial approach, and we had
to list all music we played an evening for the GEMA and had pay for
being allowed to play them. But this music had another license, which
explicitly wasn't intended to promote "commons".

ciao