[linux-audio-user] ecasound ???'s

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jan 24 14:44:38 EST 2004

Hallo,
Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 05:07:35 +0100, derek holzer wrote:
> > My question is this: since I want to document the sound of the
> > exhibition, I would like ecasound to record from all four outputs
> > periodically [also as a chronjob]. I am not too familiar with ecasound,
> > but it seems like exactly the kind of low-overhead tool to do the job.
> > So can anyone tell me how to capture from *outputs* and not inputs?
>
> There might be some way with alsa plugins, but if your using jack its
> easy, just tell ecasound to record from pd's outputs
> (pure_data_0:output[0-3]).

Pooh, I doubt that Pd with Jack will run for 4 weeks. But would be
worth a try. But Derek, why not record Pd's output from inside Pd,
using the writesf~ object or the oggwrite~ external? I do this all the
time and it's vry reliable. You could use Pd's internal timer or some
other magic instead of cron. I think, there also are some time
externals that use the standard C time.h functions.

The other solution might be some asoundrc magic with route, dshare, file
or similar plugins, as Steve proposed. Or use a cable connecting in-
and outputs in hardware.

ciao