[linux-audio-user] Dealing dynamically with multiple sound sources and sound cards in home environment

Robert Rozman rozman at fri.uni-lj.si
Sun Jan 25 04:52:05 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm designing integrated home automation/entertainment system based on Linux
and other open source apps. I have several possible sound sources (like
Festival as speech synthesis, music players, and also possible voip or
ordinary telephony applications).

I'd like to deal with all this stuf using signal routing and mixing. Some
possbile scenarions:
- when internet voice call comes in, then I connect to local audio card for
certain room
- when watching TV, speech synthesis would like to announce something
- from one room I'd like to talk to another...

If I think ideally - best would be to have range of "virtual" sound
destinations, that could be dinamically routed,mixed to physical devices. As
far as my novice knowledge goes I was thinking of using Alsaplayers as
music/wav players (they have software volume control) , Jack (as sound
servers) and Ecasound (for routing, mixing) ....

Any other advice in apps to use, more info or any other opinion would be
more than grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Robert.