[linux-audio-user] sound input directly to output

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Mon Jan 26 03:34:11 EST 2004

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 11:47:40 +0100, wouter buytaert wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>for some reason, my sound input is redirected directly to the output
>>instead of being captured by alsa/jack/ardour.
>

> Its probably a bad mixer setting, try muting any capture channels and see
> if you get get the output to stop reading the input, if you can do that
> you should be able to work out what needs to be set to capture to record
> the input but not send it to the output.
>
> - Steve

with most cards, when you want to record from, say, line, the line fader
controls how much is sent to the output. only the "capture" flag
(<space> in alsamixer) is relevant for recording, so you can have the
fader all the way down and still record. record gain is controlled by
another fader, often called "capture".

--
"I never use EQ, never, never, never. I previously used to use mic
positioning but I've even given up on that too."

Jörn Nettingsmeier
Kurfürstenstr 49, 45138 Essen, Germany
http://spunk.dnsalias.org (my server)
http://www.linuxaudiodev.org (Linux Audio Developers)