[linux-audio-user] sampling at high frequencies

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com
Mon Jan 26 05:43:33 EST 2004

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 10:19:59 +0100
Joern Nettingsmeier <nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de> wrote:

> people can't hear over 20k. period. 48k sampling rate gives you 24k
> minus what's cropped off by the aliasing filter.

Thats not the full story. There was a Japanese study where untrained
listeners could tell the difference between 10kHz sine waves and 10kHz
square waves in double blind tests. That means that the listeners
could tell presence or absence of the 30kHz third harmonic of the
square wave.

Theroretically this should not have been possible which indicates that
theories of hearing perception are far from complete.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam at mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)