[linux-audio-user] sampling at high frequencies

Mark Knecht mknecht at controlnet.com
Mon Jan 26 09:33:36 EST 2004

> AFAIK the only reason for going to 96KHz is to allow for digital effects
> processing to do a better job.  Maybe some people can hear a difference
> on *very* expensive equipment but eventually you have to go to 16 bit
> 44.1KHz ;-)
>
> Jan

Nahh....who cares about them. We just care about ourselves sitting in our
192KHz studios, right Jan? Nirvana at the console? ;-)

More seriously though, doesn't having four 24-bit samples at 192KHz give you
the opportunity to do something mathematically when going to one 16-bit
sample at 44.1/48HK? I would think that it's never bad to have more
information. It all comes down to what you do with it when you have it on
disk.

- Mark