[linux-audio-user] [ot] Is DJ-ing commercial use of music tracks?

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Mon Jan 26 09:46:32 EST 2004

> A DJ with no tracks to play is an unemployed sound engineer.

Maybe even not that. But to put it another way, an artist not sampled
and remixed by DJs is a forgotten artist? Many of the best DJs also
produce their own tracks.

I think we all agree that what money goes into the music industry
isn't very evenly distributed at the moment. I'm all in favour of
paying artists so they can continue making music, but with the
current system it seems the vast majority don't make a living out of
it, even if they do have a recording deal. A tiny minority make a
great deal of money.

I think the libre software community has plenty of ideas which would
be of benefit to musicians generally - just throwing in a few here:

release early release often
be clear about copyright
acknowledge your sources
freedom in licences