[linux-audio-user] [ot] Is DJ-ing commercial use of music tracks?

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Mon Jan 26 10:11:01 EST 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:03 am, Edward Barrow wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 11:16, Daniel James wrote:
> > > But I for one don't have a problem with a share of the money paid
> > > by punters on the door of the disco going to the people who made
> > > the music, both the DJ and to musicians back up the "sample chain".

I do have a problem with this if the means to manage these funds
involves a bureacracy that has otherwise nothing to do with either
the creation or the appreciation of the music.

> > That's fine in principle, but in practice this requires either a high
> > degree of automation, or a layer of bureauracy which will inevitably
> > siphon off at least some of those resources. Ironically, being a
> > member of the 'royalties police', supposedly defending the interests
> > of musicians, is probably a more lucrative career than actually being
> > the average musician. I'll bet it offers a regular salary, and you
> > get to spend most of your working hours in bars...

I agree with Daniel. If the overheads of managing this stream of
income is too much then it's highly debatable whether it's worth
even factoring into anyones expectations of income stream.

> But not, usually, when they're jumping - mostly it involves going round
> bars, shops and hairdressers and anyone else who plays music in public,
> trying to find the manager/owner, and getting them to sign the form and
> pay for a sticker in the window.

A hidious endeavour to begin with. The idea of storm troopers
threatening bars, shop and hairdressers to extract what will end
up being a totally insignificant amount of money for the MAJORITY
of smaller musos is something I personally want no part of. The
major musos, for which this system works, can probably get along
fine without the extra overhead-depleted income anyway.

I've spent some time looking for a license that excludes expectation
of royalty payments for public performances and so far none exist.

If no one is aware of any such license then I propose "yet another
license" to specifically allow royalty-free performance of material
and ask anyone else interested in this to make contact with me offlist
to craft such a license.

--markc