[linux-audio-user] RME Multiface vs. M-Audio Delta 1010

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Mon Jan 26 10:50:09 EST 2004

> I'm comparing the RME Multiface with the M-Audio Delta 1010 (the full
> model, not the LT).
>
> Both things provide 8 balanced analog ins/outs (and balanced is very
> important to me), some digital ins/outs (the M-Audio provides only
> SPDIF, RME has SPDIF and optical) and MIDI. Both are fully supported by
> ALSA. Both can do 96kHz/24bit.
> M-Audio Delta doesn't have headphones output.
>
> The big difference is the price.
> RME Multiface can be bought in the US for like $920 (the breakout box
> plus the PCI card).
> M-Audio Delta 1010 is $600 total; even if i stick to it a 4-way
> headphone amp, it's still only $700.
>
> What do i lose if i go the M-Audio way, instead of the RME?
>
> I know the RME stuff are more like sound routers (can combine the
> channels in a very flexible fashion), plus they do a lot of things with
> 0% CPU load.
> How's the M-Audio Delta in this regard? Can i do the same clever things
> with it?

Since everybody is reccomending a RME card...
Having administrated 5 delta cards (2*1010+1*66+2*44) for soon 2 years
on linux/alsa at notam/oslo, whithout any trouble, I can safely reccomend
delta.
I also had an unpleasant experience this summer getting an rme card
to work. There were lots of lots of trouble getting the driver to work
somewhat properly. However, I think that was a digiface so you probably
wont experience the same trouble.
But, if I should choose, and had an unlimited amount of money, I would
take the 1010 card. ~No doubt.