[linux-audio-user] [ot] Is DJ-ing commercial use of music tracks?

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Mon Jan 26 11:10:25 EST 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:29 am, Daniel James wrote:
> http://mondodesigno.com/music/pml.html
>
> For commercial use, you have to ask permission of the artist (this
> could be through a representative of course). It's then up to the
> artist if they want to charge a royalty or not.

Thanks for the link but this doesn't cut the mustard for me...

 The licence doesn't prohibit music files being released on
 CD compilations, or used in some other commercial context -
 as long as the artist gives their consent, negotiating a
 royalty where appropriate. In this age of email, it
 shouldn't be difficult to track down the artist to ask them.

No way, too hit and miss to make timely contact with the
copyright holder. I want a license that explicitly allows
royalty-free performance and redistribution of (my) material
under three conditions...

 . full attribution for the author/copyright holder

 . derivative works only under the same license (GPLish)

 . direct sale of the material has to be negotiated

I'll take the punt that the unencumbered reproduction of my
material, as long as my name is associated with it, will more
than make up for any debased fiscal payment managed thru a
3rd party that has nothing to do with myself or the listener.

Think free advertising and near zero marketting costs !

It's very close to this license but with some specific mention
of royalty free performance and redistribution...

--markc