[linux-audio-user] [ot] Is DJ-ing commercial use of music tracks?

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Mon Jan 26 13:01:25 EST 2004

> No way, too hit and miss to make timely contact with the
> copyright holder. I want a license that explicitly allows
> royalty-free performance and redistribution of (my) material

My licence is in the public domain, so you are free to use it as the
basis for your own.

The problem I had with all existing licences is that they are far too
long, and so no-one would actually read them. If the GPL was one
paragraph more people would have read it before using the software. I
would guess that a tiny minority of libre software users have read
the GPL from start to finish.

We need poets, not lawyers, writing licences. If the licence can't be
printed around the perimeter of a CD in a readable type size, then
it's too long.

As for contacting copyright holders before commercial use, that gives
me the option to say no to something like a bit of my music being
used in a TV advert, for example. I might not approve of the
association with the product, or I might want a fair slice of the ad
agency's five million dollar fee...

If a DJ contacted me for permission that would be great - it would
also help build community between musicians.

Cheers

Daniel