[linux-audio-user] m3u streaming

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Wed Jan 28 13:29:58 EST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:43 am, Dave Phillips wrote:
>   I tapped into the stream with alsaplayer and mplayer. mpg123, ogg123,
> and mpg321 all bombed out with messages similar to this one :

Thanks for another view on this.

> [dlphilp at localhost dlphilp]$ mpg321
> http://mp3.arisonic.com/regenerationz/00_all.m3u
> Directory: http:/
> Playing MPEG stream from mp3.arisonic.com ...
> [0:00] Decoding of mp3.arisonic.com finished.
>
>   Alsaplayer and mplayer would not proceed beyond track_1, as was reported.

For me, alsaplayer was the only app that accepted the m3u on the
command line, with no extra flags, and truly started streaming
at least the first song. No other app even did that, for me.

mplayer URL.m3u would not work for me and even downloding the
m3u file and playing it locally as "mplayer 00_all.m3u" would
not work for me. Even when I gave it the full URL to any of the
mp3s it would still fully download it first and then play it.

xmms 00_all.m3u worked and even xmms URL.mp3 started streaming
straight away but xmms did not handle the remote m3u on the
command line.

mpg123 an ogg123 (does it play mp3s anyway?) would not play the
m3u file locally nor remotely.

>   Btw, JACK was running while I connected to and played the stream, no
> trouble here (but I think Joern's using a more recent JACK ?).

No jack here for these tests.

might be the best all round m3u streaming app.

--markc