[linux-audio-user] Alsaplayer and equivalents?

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Thu Jan 29 15:26:46 EST 2004

Frank Barknecht wrote on Thu, 29-Jan-2004:

 > Hallo,
 > Juhana Sadeharju hat gesagt: // Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
 >
 > > The playlist in Alsaplayer does not provide any grouping/folders.
 > > All songs are in one list. I know a guy who has 10,000+ songs in
 > > mp3/wma format. All can be managed easily with the software he
 > > uses in MS Windows. That kind of software equipped with direct
 > > directory browsing would be great in Linux.
 >
 > Yep, it's true that the playlist in alsaplayer is the main showstopper
 > for this wonderful player. Still I only use alsaplayer, because IMO
 > it's the best in all other areas, especially in click-free playing and
 > good support for many sound APIs.

It might make sense to use another app for playlist management,
which then controls alsaplayer (or other media player).  This
is the idea behind 'madman', for instance, which has a rather
impressively powerful interface.  I don't think it interfaces
to alsaplayer yet, though (just xmms). There are others in this category
of app, i believe.

jlc