[linux-audio-user] re: audacity

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu Jan 29 21:41:22 EST 2004

> > That could mean that something else is using the OSS devices and
> > audacity is just waiting for them to become free. Try to
> > see if
> > something is using /dev/dsp by doing a:
> >   fuser /dev/dsp
> > (in a terminal)
> > Fernando
>

> Other OSS apps work just fine.  Nothing shows up with fuser.  Weird weird.
> Xine will not work with the HDSP/MF either (it starts up and immediately shuts
> down), and Mplayer will work with the sdl output - the oss output is grainy,
> and the alsa9 won't work at all.  It has something to do with the card, because
> all of these things work fine with my onboard card.

Probably some problem with the OSS emulation in ALSA.

Maybe you could run audacity with "strace". It will print all the system
calls that it makes and maybe the last one will point to the place where
it hangs (BTW, there is a new version in Planet CCRMA).

-- Fernando