[linux-audio-user] Alsaplayer and equivalents?

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Thu Jan 29 22:39:25 EST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 06:26 am, Jesse Chappell wrote:
> It might make sense to use another app for playlist management,
> which then controls alsaplayer (or other media player).  This
> is the idea behind 'madman', for instance, which has a rather
> impressively powerful interface.  I don't think it interfaces
> to alsaplayer yet, though (just xmms). There are others in this category
> of app, i believe.

KDE 3.2 is out next week (hopefully) and it will come with Juk,
I believe. I haven't used it yet but it seems to have a good
reputation for managing media files intuitively.

And as far as some frontend program using various backend players,
just last night I tried mv'ing mpg123 out of the way and soft linked
xmms to mpg123 so now my irate-client calls xmms instead of mpg123,
which gives me a GUI player that I have more control over when using
the irate-client. This simple change improved my user experience.

--markc