[linux-audio-user] linux and alsaplayer

James Stone stone1 at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 31 08:14:19 EST 2004

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:09:52PM +0900, rossen apostolov wrote:
> jaap wrote:
>
> >Le Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 10:23:42PM +0000, James Stone a ?crit...
> >

> >>I have no idea about Gentoo and ebuilds. What is wrong with downloading
> >>the source and compiling it yourself?
> >>
> >>James
> >>

> >It's more work.
> >
> >And if the ebuild is ok,it will be easier for a lot of people.
> >
> >Maybe you have to try gentoo to understand..:)
> >

> >Jaap
> >

> James:
>
> Gentoo's ebuilds are, like the ports in FreeBSD ,
> a very powerful way to keep your system updated.
> They automatically download, compile and install
> not only the program you want but the dependencies as well.
> They let you have all the programs compiled with
> options optimized for your specific machine,
> and record everything they do in a database.
> You can (often) easily write ebuilds yourself, especially for
> programs using autoconf etc.
> The ebuild system is the main reason I shifted to Gentoo,
> and highly recommend it.

Fair enough.. each to their own.

I use debian and then install self-compiled source packages for most of
the audio stuff, since it is more cutting edge than the debs. I could
make them into debs myself but can not really be bothered.. Haven't had
any dependency tracking problems so far... Gentoo sounds a bit more fiddly
to me but I am sure it is good once you get used to it.

James