[linux-audio-user] Re: sound & midi applications page, was Re: [Consortium] linuxaudio.org

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sat Jan 31 16:35:43 EST 2004

Note: I'm moving this thread to linux-audio-user,
because I think that's where this particular discussion belongs
since the intention is to serve linux audio users.

The topic is: a site to replace Dave Phillips' venerable,
labor-intensive, hand-maintained sound applications page.
It must allow visitors to easily add, update, and correct
entries for linux audio/music apps.
Probably also user reviews & commentary on applications.

This site may or may not end up affiliated with the
emerging linuxaudio.org website(s), it's too early to say.
So it doesn't seem appropriate to keep this discussion
on the consortium_p list.

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 04:34:14PM +0100, Andrea Glorioso wrote:
> Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> writes:
>
> > We discussed some requirements a long time ago on LAD and/or LAU,
> > I forget. I put up a quick mockup on my website and have done nothing
> > since then.
(snip)
> Paul, did the server wake up?

yes, I had exceeded my disk quota. Upgraded my account and all's well.

summary and links:
http://www.slinkp.com/linux/soundapp_site_roughs/

Rough mock-up of a typical page:
http://www.slinkp.com/linux/soundapp_site_roughs/app_entry.html

>  I'm curious to see the current state of
> affairs (so that we  can direct  people  who visit  the "applications"
> page at  www.agnula.org to this  site :) and  of  course help where we
> can).

Help at this point would consist of:

1. Refining the requirements for an app-listing site,
   in terms of features and user interface.

2. Suggestions for a name for the site

3. Improved visual design. This should come after
   the requirements are worked out.

4. Improved app categorization.
   There were some comments suggesting that Dave's old
   categories can be improved.
   This can always evolve, but it would be nice to
   have a good starting point.

To keep this discussion from getting confused, I will follow up with
separate messages targeting points 1 and 2.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com