[linux-audio-user] Re: Getting around the limitations of a low-end card

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jul 3 03:20:55 EDT 2004

Hallo,
Mark Wilson hat gesagt: // Mark Wilson wrote:

> I guess what I'm really trying to accomplish is to
> sort of become the Isao Tomita or Wendy Carlos of my
> own linux box, just for my own amusement.

Those two weren't using any ready made midi synth patches. ;) If you
aspire that kind of stuff, you might want to leave the world of
prefabricated midi patch players and dive into modular software
synthesis as provided by Csound, Pd, Supercollider, SSM, and the like.
They all procide midi functionality as well, but you'll be allowed to
(and have to) create new and unheard sounds on your own.

In theory this is possible with .pat and .sf2 files as well, but they
only provide a limited amount of flexibility. For creating soundfonts
look at smurf/swami.

Ciao