[linux-audio-user] Fresh PC waiting for basic installation - Advice?

Alejandro Lopez alex_osiris at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 5 11:28:27 EDT 2004

Guys,

Many thanks for the time and effort spent on giving advice, it's much
appreciated.

Basically, you guys have recommended:

-Mandrake + Thac's RPMs (Robert)
-DeMuDi (Tim and Stefano)
-Planet CCRMA (Jan)

..Which basically boils down to: Mandrake vs Debian vs Redhat. Not sure if
it's a wise decision, but I'm then thinking about choosing the distro based
on:

-Is ALSA supported on the distro or did you have to download and install
ALSA separately?

-Did you find the kernel easy to patch for low latency? (I assume all
Thac's, DeMuDi and Planet have some patch set for this).

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Yours,

Alex

PS: starting a new thread soon to briefly explain what note tuning and audio
quantizing is for the ones who are interested, glad to contribute somehow
:-)