[linux-audio-user] Alsa / OSS support in Linux

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Jul 6 05:16:46 EDT 2004

Last Tuesday 06 July 2004 08:56, Alejandro Lopez was like:
> While on the topic, I seem to remember having read about a plan to
> incorporate Alsa in an upcoming version of the Linux kernel, that would be
> a plan to switch from OSS to Alsa as the "official" / preferred sound
> support in Linux. I think I heard about it something like 1 year ago as
> something that was in Linus' mind for the near future? Does this make any
> sense or am I talking b_llocks here? Reason I'm asking is because of your
> Debian / Fedora, I was thiking hey wait a second, I thought it was part of
> the kernel by now?

It is in 2.6.x series kernels, however, up till now their performance hasn't
matched a properly patched 2.4.2x kernel for music. So a lot of us are still
using them. Have a look at the list archives, it's been a fairly hot topic
for most of the last year.  ;-)

tim hall