[linux-audio-user] Playing audio file on AC97

Anahata anahata at treewind.co.uk
Tue Jul 6 09:23:25 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 05:46:53PM +0530, Shiv Garg wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am working on a device driver for Intel AC97 audio codec.
> The driver is able to play any sound file directed to /dev/dsp where
> codec is registered.
> But the problem is, when the playback is finished it doesn't mute the
> output. It keeps playing the last buffer, and some piiiiii kind of sound
> keeps coming from the headphone.
> Can anybody suggest me where can be the problem.

Wouldn't the linux audio developers list be a better place to ask?

But I'll try anyway.. the repeated sound segment effect is usually
caused by an interrupt failure. Have you disabled interrupts as soon as
the last buffer is set up? Perhaps you should let the last sample play,
then on the final "buffer empty" interrupt you stop the process
(whatever that is... I've never done any sound programming but a long
time ago I did some DMA code) that feeds sound to the codec. Or mute it
if that's what you have to do.

Isn't there an AC97 driver in existence already?

--
Anahata
anahata at treewind.co.uk       Tel: 01638 720444